Catherine R. Guiles
Metro Washington, D.C.
443-465-1381 | email@example.com
linkedin.com/in/catherineguiles | catherineguiles.com
Copy editor and writer
Informing people and inspiring them to act
through clear, accurate communication
Extensive expertise creating and correcting copy for online and print publications. Pay close attention to detail while meeting frequent deadlines. Work with others to determine news coverage as well as work independently and under pressure. Write news articles and criticism for publications targeting various audiences. Successful track record of ensuring accuracy and clarity on multiple complex subjects.
SmartBrief, Washington, D.C. 2012-present
Copy editor/writer, copy editor
Write and/or edit between five and 12 curated email newsletters per day for trade associations including the National Recreation and Park Association and America’s Health Insurance Plans.
- Ensure accuracy, proper grammar and spelling, taste, legality, compliance with SmartBrief and Associated Press style and agreement with association requests and preferences.
- Have one of lowest correction rates among SmartBrief copy editors.
- Present content in concise, web- and mobile-friendly formats to drive reader engagement.
- Contribute original content to While You Were Working SmartBrief, which has over 100,000 subscribers.
- Write SmartBrief Originals articles on human resources topics using search engine optimization.
- Edit content marketing reports and infographics to ensure consistency and compliance with style.
- Collaborate with other editors and copy editors, most of whom work remotely, to provide editorial direction, choose material for inclusion and incorporate edits.
Times Herald-Record, Middletown, N.Y. 2008-2012
Copy editor, designer
Edited copy for multiple platforms and designed print pages for a daily newspaper.
- Wrote engaging headlines and captions, seeking fairness, accuracy, readability and compliance with grammar and style.
- Promoted to supervise five copy editors and designers in daily production of the print edition, collaborating to revise content, ensure proper page flow and resolve production issues.
- Managed and created web content using content management system. Revised headlines for web.
The Daily Star, Oneonta, N.Y. 2003-2007
Copy editor, copy desk chief, designer
Edited articles, wrote headlines and designed print pages for a six-days-a-week newspaper.
- Promoted to copy desk chief, supervising other copy editors, designers and interns.
- Wrote editorials.
- Co-designed a special “First Amendment Edition” section that won first place in an Ottaway Newspapers companywide contest.
Various publications, multiple US cities 2017-present
Freelance reporter, book reviewer
Write news articles and book reviews for Religion News Service, the Arlington (Va.) Connection and the Englewood Review of Books.
- RNS article published by USA Today, the Houston Chronicle and at least four other media outlets.
Medill News Service, Chicago, Ill. 2008
Urban issues reporter
Covered education and religion for Northwestern University’s wire service produced by Medill students.
- Reported and wrote a six-part series on the role of Christian liberal arts colleges in the 2008 presidential election, funded by a grant from the Lilly Endowment.
- Published articles in the Chicago Journal and The Windy Citizen and published photographs in Education Week.
- Reported stories in audio and visual formats.
- Master of Science in Journalism, Northwestern University, 2008
- Bachelor of Arts with departmental honors, English, Calvin University 2003
(formerly Calvin College), Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Copy editing boot camps and national conference 2012, 2016, 2017
held by ACES, The Society for Editing
- Content management systems
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop and Premiere Elements (video)